At the start of this year, I made a list of writing resolutions. I’ve been doing my best to keep up with them, and I’m happy to say that so far I’ve succeeded.
- Write at least 5K words each week, unless outlining a new book.There’s a bunch of progress counters on the right side of this website. At the start of each week I post the new goal and the progress so far. I update the counter several times a week. I finished outlining in week 3 and started writing in week 4, and for the past two weeks I’ve managed to reach and exceed my writing goal. I’m not sure how many words the final novel I’m working on will have, but I’m guessing it’ll be comparable to Revenant Rising in size, so about 95K words. At this rate, I’ll have the first draft finished at the start of summer.
- Finish Revenant Rising.I’ve received several reviews of my second draft, and made changes accordingly. The third draft is currently being reviewed by a few non-Dutch friends of mine, and there are still quite a few people proofreading the second draft. At this rate, I expect to finish the novel in two or three months, assuming I get someone to make a nice fantasy-themed cover. I know a few people I can ask for this, but if anyone else can recommend a cover artist who doesn’t require a fortune in $$ and is good at fantasy-themed covers feel free to leave a comment.
- Finish a second and possibly a third novel. At the rate I’m going (see resolution #1), I’ll have the first draft of my second novel done by the summer. Assuming I can outline another novel in not too much time I might have a third one done by the end of the year. Of course, these estimates are for the first drafts only. I’ll probably give these novels the same treatment as Revenant Rising and let a bunch of people proofread them.
In addition to these existing resolutions, I have a few to add.
- Blog at least once a week. So far I’ve managed to keep up with this as I’ve had plenty of things keeping me occupied in the writing department. With this post I’ll still be on track
- Respond to other people’s blogs more often. I occasionally leave comments on a few other writer’s blogs but those rarely turn into back-and-forth discussions. If anyone knows blogs of other aspiring fantasy writers feel free to leave a link.
So, how is everyone else keeping up with their writing resolutions?